Pipelines on Burke?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums
Shinny
Smooooooth

Pipelines on Burke?

Postby Shinny » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Rode Franks last night.. what a beautiful pipeline that’s running through the forest about 2 feet off the ground. Really adds to the mystic of the forest. :roll: I assume it’s a Wesbuild thing, anyone know what it is? Is there Bitumen flowing underground? Natural water spring? Tunnel to the Center of the earth? Who knows?

blackfly
Six-Footers

Re: Pipelines on Burke?

Postby blackfly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:28 pm

According to TORCA's homepage it is drainage rerouting. Unfortunately, I don't really believe it and I don't think it will be temporary. Progress, they call it.

Sadly, I think it is going to be sooner rather than later that this "thin edge of the wedge" grows. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised.

The part that gets me is that we are hounded with the fact these micro streams are fish habitat and to be sensitive to this fact, but apparently large scale development doesn't count as "profoundly affecting the stability and sustainability of fish habitat". Saw this very same thing happen with Hiroshima Heights in North Van, despite the fact the DNV was given direct evidence of salmon spawning. I don't suppose taking it up with City Hall would do any good.

Biggles
Don't mind me, I'm British

Postby Biggles » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am

You don't believe what?

It's well known that most of the lower trails on the Wesbild land will be affected/lost, but on the plus side, Wesbild have been highly co-operative in making sure that access to the trails is maintained as long as possible. With luck, there will be some green corridors to maintain the trails, but the reality is, housing is coming.

blackfly
Six-Footers

Postby blackfly » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:20 pm

I agree with you that Wesbild has been nice....so far. But I don't trust them for one minute nor do I expect them to sacrifice any potential development dollars for trails, bike or otherwise. This same mentality extends to Cypress Mountain where people are being deluded into thinking that BPP is going to allot space for bike trails and "consider the public at large". Nothing could be further from the truth when it extends to land in the Lower Mainland given its value. The PR spin the developers are giving to look like "the nice guy" gets old when you see it used up to the last minute then.....bam.

I have seen it too many times to be not so jaded. My real concern is how the traffic is going to be handled on Burke once the development is in place and Harper Road is a legitimate street. Personally, if I have to park in front of someone's house to go ride, so be it. And if they decide to make a parking lot, which would be ideal, it had better be large. Look to Fromme for my reasoning.

sparkplug
Smooooooth

Postby sparkplug » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:19 am

Parking concerns are known to BC Parks, City of Coquitlam, and Wesbild. TORCA is advocating for more parking both for now and in the future.

Feel free to write a letter to the City of Coquitlam asking for parking for users of the mountain. The more people they hear from, the more likely they are to do something about it.

Return to “Everything Else”